Thursday, October 23, 2008

RSS review

Following blogs about technology and voice conferencing on my RSS reader was an interesting process. Although RSS readers are suppose to make it easier to catch up on your favorite blogs, I found myself spending more time on my computer because started reading more blogs than I had before I used an RSS reader. I must admit, using the RSS reader was much quicker than finding all the information on separate websites.

What worked the best was that it was a great way to start to learn about something without having to a bunch of research. I will soon be co-teaching on voice conferencing and it was nice to start do learn what people are saying about it and what is currently happening in the field. When I start to research more about voice conferencing I feel as though I have an idea where to start.


I also used the RSS feeder in my itunes to download podcasts about Voice Conferencing. Unfortunately, there were not many podcasts on the topic and the podcasts I listened too were far to advanced and technical for me to understand. Maybe after a couple of months of learning about Voice Conferencing I will understand what the podcasters are talking about.

If done differently, I would have tried to find blogs that posted more often. Some blogs only had a few postings or none at all over the two weeks. This made it difficult to learn how blogs interact with each other. Before picking blogs, it would be worth checking to see how often the blogger posts and only follow blogs that do post on a regular basis.

I could use RSS readers in my classroom by having students follow their classmates' blogs. Students could post their writings on their blogs and make suggestions about the writings by commenting about the postings. Having students use a reader would make it easier for them to follow their classmates blogs without having to search all over the web.

No comments: