Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Using RSS

For my Emerging Instructional Technologies class I have set up an RSS feed to learn more about Voice Conferencing. I am using googlereader for my RSS account and am impressed at how easy it is to use. Instead of having to search for blogs everyday and to see if something new was posted, new blog posts will show up in my googlereader. It makes everything so much simpler and saves time. The first screen shot is of my googlereader. The second screen shot is a closer view of how I have organized my information. I have different folders for the various sites and blogs I have subscribed to. Two of the folders are for blogs of my classmates for two of my classes this semester. Other folders are News, Money, and Technology. The blogs I have subscribed to for learning more about Voice Conferencing are delivered to my technology folder. The blogs I chose to subscribe to are ones that are up to date on Voice Conferencing and post often. When there is a new blog to read, the folder will be a darker, bolder blue and have a number behind it. This is so easy to use!

I am also using igoogle as a center to get information that I usually search for everyday. Igoogle is nice because most everything I usually go to separate websites to find is at one location. By to subscribing to different applications that display all my information I usually go out to find in one location. Some of the applications I have chosen show the latest headlines in education and the world. I have created tabs to organize my information. My tabs include home, fun stuff, news, education, books, and Scrabble.

RSS feeds can also be used on Itunes. By subscribing to a podcast, Itunes will automatically check to see if there are any new podcasts. If there are, the podcast will download by itself. I have been subscribed to many podcasts for awhile. It is so convenient and I don't have to worry about missing my favorite radio programs. To learn more about Voice Conferencing, I have subscribed to some podcasts that are about Voice Conferencing and VoIP (Voice Over Internet Protocol). The names of the podcasts I subscribed to are called Blue Box: The VoIP Security Podcast, The VoIP Exerience, VoIP Users Community Conference, and Ted Talks.

It seems like an overwhelming amount of information, but RSS will help to make it easier to learn about Voice Conferencing since all the information is going to my googlereader.

No comments: